Commodore July 2020

hobie pic

ECSC hobie

Greetings to everyone!  Well, here we are, still in the middle of the Covid-19 Pandemic of 2020.  This is definitely not what we bargained for this sailing season! The circumstances we find ourselves in are unprecedented in my lifetime.

Our social and racing events are still on hiatus; I would like to ask for everyone’s consideration as the Board and the Committee Chairs work through this.  It is one thing to make a personal decision about your own health and safety, but it is an entirely different matter when you are making decisions that affect your fellow club members, friends, and families.  We don’t know everyone’s circumstances and what reasons they have for the choices they make.  What I do know is life is tenuous – yesterday someone lost their life on our lake – today someone did die from Covid-19.  Does that mean we just lay down in the fetal position and refuse to come out of our houses? No. But it does mean that we, as the leadership of the club, have a duty to all of the members to make the best decisions we can for the good of the club. I don’t expect that everyone will agree with these decisions, but I do ask that everyone respect them and the board members making them.  And if you feel strongly, there are board positions available for the upcoming season.

Fortunately, our club is still open and we welcome you to come out and enjoy it.  Masks aren’t required outdoors, but if you aren’t wearing one, then please be kind and keep your distance. We are racing on Wednesdays and Sundays – it’s just a little different.  Jan and I ask ourselves daily – what is really important?  Our love for each other and our friends and the joy we get when we are on the water.  The rest is icing on the cake.

Update on the Ramp Project – One step forward, one step back:  We obtained all of the necessary permits for the construction, our vendor and pricing for the ramp are in place, and when we received the pricing for the coffer dam to drain the water for construction it blew our budget.  Our former Commodore Geoff Endris is working on possible solutions for this – and we are still planning on moving forward, we just don’t have a specific time as of yet.  Nothing will commence before the end of the year, so it will not have an effect on our season. But this is still a priority for the club.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.  See you on the water!